Monday, December 22, 2008

God bless Dr. Ferber

Thanks to Dr. Ferber and my own mother, I have had three nights of uninterrupted sleep. I think it has been at least two years since I've had a run even close to that. Mom kept Jewel overnight on Friday, her first night away from us. And the last two nights she has slept soundly all night long!

In certain parenting circles, Dr. Ferber is demonized as a let-your-baby-cry-it-out villain who is partly to blame for the moral decay of our society. But, when I was nursing a nearly-one-year-old all night long instead of sleeping, I knew that we would both be happier people if we were getting better sleep. So, I actually read Dr. Ferber's book, and discovered it was not authored by Lucifer nor published by the Hades Press, in fact, I think Dr. Ferber is considerate, and non-judgemental - allowing us to define problems ourselves. So off she went to her crib in her room. We were down to two wakings a night, and -- knock wood -- no wakings for the last two nights.

Thank you, Jewel, for my early Christmas present. In the words of Tiny Tim, God bless us everyone, and you too Dr. Ferber.

2 comments:

Joann said...

Detox week for me, so no sleep in this quarter. Glad you're picking up some zzzzzz's no matter how it all came together. Sleep is a wonderful thing.

Anonymous said...

As always, you continue to impress me. Sweet dreams mama.

Chrissy