Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Where I've been all this time . . .

I found this great quote from G. K. Chesterton over on a new-to-me blog, solstice letters (my first embedded link!):
Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, “Do it again”; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, “Do it again” to the sun; and every evening, “Do it again” to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we.

So much of my life is repetitive and monotonous. I didn't think anyone, anywhere would want to read about how many diapers I changed today, or how I washed the same laundry I washed just last week. As much as I'd like to, I don't always have creative projects on the cutting board or in the sewing machine. Sometimes my life is about kissing boo-boos and cleaning bottoms or a myriad of other surfaces. I sometimes have to remind myself that boo-boo kissing is a legitimate line of work. That although they may not realize it, everyone in the house is grateful for a clean potty to pee/poop/barf in. That just being present for my children is important in and of itself.

Then I read this quote, and I think there are mothers all over the world who feel just like me. And maybe just commiserating and celebrating our work here, on the internet, might be enough to help us keep our own daisies growing.

No comments: