Thursday, February 4, 2010

To learn new things


In January I joined the local quilt guild. I think I was one of maybe four ladies who don't get the senior citizen discount, but that just let me know there was enough experience in the room to help me learn something. And that is what I want. I've cobbled together my quilting skills over the years starting with the sewing my Grandmother taught me and then adding to it with the internet and a few books.

At the meeting they handed out instructions for a quilt block with the idea that everyone makes a block, brings it to the next meeting and then they raffle the blocks off to a few people who then have most of what they need to make a quilt top. I hope they do this every time. Since this blocks incorporates a couple of things I've never done before it is a good way to learn new skills.
This is what I have so far. Sort of a basket weave. It will attach to two appliqued semicircles to the sides to make a heart shape. At the top of the photo you can see another one of these blocks. I had to do it twice to get the pieces to line up. The second time worked out fine. So, you see, I am learning something. Maybe I'll use the first one to make a potholder.

The disappointing news for me, is that the fabric bundle I'd decided to buy to make my next quilt with is out of stock. Hmmm . . . . what to sew?

No comments: